SharePoint 2013 Cumulative Updates Mismatch
We ran into an issue this week in which the SharePoint 2013 Cumulative Updates installed on the servers did not match what the SharePoint farm thought it was. We had the March 2013 Cumulative Update installed and we were attempting to install a December Hotfix. When running the executable for the hotfix, we received the error message: “The expected version of the production was not found on the system”. The only requirement for this hotfix was that the March 2013 CU was installed.
Both the patch status screen within SharePoint and the Installed Updates within Windows showed the March 2013 CU was installed and nothing we seemed to do could get us going again.
We have no idea how it got in this state… we don’t know if the wizard didn’t get run at some point or what and a call to Microsoft came up empty too and they were stating that we may have to rebuild the whole environment from scratch.
I decided to try a few things before throwing in the towel. The following is a list of the things I did that eventually got the environment to a nice stable and healthy place.
- Detach All Content Databases (this step is optional)
- Clear the SharePoint Configuration Cache (I recommend using http://spcachecleaner.codeplex.com/)
- On the server hosting Central Admin, execute and wait for it to finish to 100%:
psconfig –cmd upgrade –inplace b2b –wait –force
- Execute the above command on the remaining servers in the farm one at a time.
- Install the cumulative update (or hotfix) on each server and reboot if requested.
- On the server hosting Central Admin, run the SharePoint 2013 Product and Configuration Wizard and wait for it to finish 100%.
- On the remaining servers in the farm, run the wizard and complete the upgrade.
- Repeat steps 5-7 for any remaining updates.
At this point, everything should be installed correctly and your updates should now match what is installed.